1997 SL1 electrical acted up while driving now wont start...

1997 SL1

spark plugs and wires just replaced by dealer about a month ago.

My daughter was driving to work and said the stereo went off, then the speed odometer quit working. Having a hard time getting up to speed - said she had it floored and it hesitated but finally started working - speed odometer still not working. Now the car just clicks when you try and start it - like a dead battery. When it makes the clicking noise as your trying to start, the dome lights etc... go off and on as it clicks.

I have not had a chance to try and jump start it yet. I really don't think jump starting it (if it would even start) would solve it since it started doing this while it was running. Would an alternator cause this while it was running? Definitely some kind of electrical issue going on.

Thought. Advice?

thanks in advance.

Reply to
cybercoaster

No Crossposting Please.

The symtoms are obvious. Check your battery, alternator, and connections... If either the bat or alt is bad the other can be made bad. The ecm is like a diabetic, if it doesnt get the right amount of juice it wont run right.

Reply to
blah blah

I had something like that happen to my 96 SL2. I was at a light, and when I put my foot on the accelerator, the car went about 0.5 mph. It would start fine, but would lose power when idling at a light. Replaced the alternator and it's been fine (in that department) ever since. I was told that the (2 year-old) battery was fine, which is why it started OK.

Was not a pleasant feeling to put your foot down and have nothing happen.

Reply to
Fantine

The EXACT same wierd set of symptoms occured when the alternator went out on my 94 SC2.

Reply to
wavy

The dome light on my 03 ion went full on just before i turned the key,weird,huh?.

Reply to
teem

Thanks all - it was what I feared - the Alt. $150ish for the new one.

Reply to
cybercoaster