01' SC2 Clutch

I got a used 2001 SC a few months ago. Today my husband was driving it and called to tell me the clutch had not resistance and he couldn't shift. I saw that the clutch fluid compartment was empty so I went and got some clutch fluid, but noticed on the cap of the compartment that is says to fill it with brake fluid. I was wondering what the difference was.

Reply to
Smitten

Ok. I'm pretty sure the hydraulic clutch reservoir uses brake fluid. I have NEVER heard of "clutch fluid". Whatever you do, DONT put automatic transmission fluid into your clutch reservoir.

Can anyone else help me here?

Reply to
wavy

Clutch fluid today is probably just a less refined brake fluid. I probably wouldnt use it unless I read something insuring of compatibility for dot3 clutch systems on the bottle.

Reply to
blah blah

Brake fluid is required. I never heard of "clutch fluid" either

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Im sure my old SL1 used DOT3 brake fluid in the clutch system. My manual for my ION indicated Dot3 brake fluid in the clutch/brake reservoir. "The clutch does not have its own reservoir. The system receives fluid from the brake master cylinder reservoir. It is filled with DOT3 frade fluid." (Quoted from the manual).

Reply to
seawater

The type of fluid is the least of your troubles. You have a sepatate reservoir and it shoulnot need topping up. You must have a leak that won't fo away till you get it serviced, hopefully it didn't leak onto the clutch!

Reply to
seawater

Yeah - and no parts on it are serviceable. (!) Unlike my old Toyota truck, you cannot fix the master cylinder or the slave cylinder - you have to replace the whole darn unit.

Reply to
wavy

Reply to
Smitten via CarKB.com

Saturns can be kinda bad about that as some parts are dealer only too.

SnoMan

Reply to
Smitten via CarKB.com