20 something Noob wanting to do maintenance on a 2000 LS2

I'm wanting to know what kind of maintenance I can do and what kind of tools I need to do that maintenance. I'm not an auto guy but I can and want to learn. I also don't want to take it to a shop for every little thing. Would investing in a diagnostic code reader help? I have the Haynes manula for my particular car and am wondering if there are websites that would help. Thanks!

Reply to
user

Well, I don't have your particular car, but I'm a 20 something new as well. Having both manuals helps, but they aren't the best thing out there.

For a website, try

they've got all the knowledge and the people that frequent this newsgroup usually end up posting to there. Wolfman is superb with his knowledge of Saturn's.

As for a code reader, they aren't very helpful once you know what your code is. Investing in a good one will put you back more than a few hundred, unless you find one that is a professional line and can read live engine data as well as freeze frame data and the code (obviously.) I'm going the USB to OBDII route as this solves all and hopefully, future problems.

If you've got the basic tools (six point sockets and wrenches - metric) jackstands and at least one jack (I use two since it speeds up work and I feel safer with two jacks and two jackstands.) you are usually able to accomplish anything you've got time to learn.

Hope some of this helps, I know what boat you're in.

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)