2000 Saturn Won't Go!

my acceleration went out on me this morning while i was on the freeway. When I went to step on the gas pedal, nothing happened. I let it sit for about 15 minutes, while it was running, and then I tried it again and it went for about 50 yards, and wouldn't go any more... It started to die when I tried it again. Then I waited another 15 minutes and it ran about another 50 yards and the acceleration went out again. I got it to the nearest gas station and left it there. Can someone tell me what the problem could be? And how to fix it? I looked for a manual and they don't make one. thank you thank you

Reply to
katastrophe

Which model Saturn?

Anything unusual or odd been going on prior to this issue?

Any lamps on the dash on to indicate the car thinks there's a problem too?

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Sounds like a fuel pressure from what was said. Your pump may be giving out. If you make it a habit of driving on fumes or not keeping up with the fuel filter then I'd say its most definitely the fuel pump. Keep in mind this is only a textual diagnosis. A fuel pressure gage should be used in of a real diagnosis.

Reply to
Blah blah

I thought it seemed to be running a little different yesterday. The only light that came on was the check engine light when it would die.

Reply to
katastrophe

I ususally keep plenty of gas in it, but I've only had the car for about 6 months. Other people I've talked to today said the same thing you did, fuel pump - is it a difficult job to do yourself? Do you know about how much it'll cost at a shop?

Reply to
katastrophe

If you've got a friend with an OBD2 scanner or some parts stores will let you use theirs, you can pull out the complaint from the car's computer.

I don't know which model Saturn you have (S or L series), however in my

97SL2 the fuel pump is inside the tank and is a job I'm too much of moron to perform.
Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I agree that it sounds like the fuel pump, however could the fuel filter just be that clogged? It would certainly be far easier to change than the pump, but only worth it if there is a chance it is the problem.

-rj

98SL2
Reply to
richard hornsby

Since there was a check engine light the best idea is to read the actual code and go from there. Some parts stores will read your code(s) for free but they like to try selling you stuff as well. Fuel pumps arent cheap if that is the problem and not something for the average do it yourselfer.

Reply to
Blah blah

It's not *impossible*, but, realize, you're working with your gas tank. You really don't wanna screw that up, or *boom*.

I'd go for the obovious, first, though. Read the trouble codes, then have the pressure at the rail checked. It might be a filter, and that's easy to replace. Of course, it could be the regulator, too, and that's cheap too.

Rule out the cheap stuff first. AFAIK, Saturns aren't prone to blowing up their fuel pumps.

(Don't discount the relay for it, too).

Easy way to test if the pump is at least working sometimes is to get in the car in a quiet area, turn the key on, and listen for a little whine and click noise. Turn the key off, then turn it on a few seconds later. If the pump at least works, you'll hear that noise. i don't recall if the FP relay is the same as any others, but if it is, swap it with another and see if the problem moved with the relay (i.e., the pump's fine but the system you stole the relay from is busted now)

You said it was running while you waited. I'm trying to think of a failure mode where a pump gives you low pressure, but enough to idle. Unlike a carb, EFI needs the pressure more or less all the time.

Years ago, my dad's Vega had it's filter clog. It'd run ok at low speeds, but have no power and not be able to climb hills. Went around in circles for a while while we searched for that...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Um, Saturns are known for failing fuel pumps(among other things).

I've replaced two of them (one on each of my 97 SL2s) - it isn't a hard job, but it is messy.

A real pain if you don't have a lift - getting the back end of the car high enough is a real challenge!

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen