Starter Troubleshooting

Recently the starter won't turn on occasion, but after a few clicks of the key the starter works. But it's getting worse, especially when the engine is warm, and left me standing at the gas station yesterday, where 3 nice guys gave me a push. Fortunately the '96 SL2 is a five-speed. Battery is OK; I checked it and put a big load on it to make sure it had plenty of cranking amps and voltage.

I tried a while ago and she started. I suspect the solenoid or the starter contacts. I can hear the solenoid clicking, though. A mechanic said to suspect the contacts, which he said are a little like the brushes on older starter motors but are copper instead of carbon. He says they are cheap to replace and I am a little tight for funds at the moment and don't want to buy a new starter. Could somebody give me a little steer on this problem? I'd hate to get stranded again.

Also I slid underneath the car and found 2 metric bolts fastening the Valeo starter (made in France, it says) to the engine block, in addition to the wiring. One bolt is up, one down. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance. I'll keep ramps and tools in the car and leave it parked on the ramps until I get it fixed. 101k miles on this car and this is the first sign of trouble. I have really enjoyed the dependability and 38 mpg gas mileage of this little baby.

Reply to
jls

Blah blah