2001 L200

Hello again; The ignition key 'sticks' when you try to take it out of the ignition. It feels like something clamps the key in tight. Eventually you can remove it. But, it is getting to the point where the key has to be left in the ignition when you get out of the car. The key or ignition operates fine when the key is in, however getting the key in or out is the problem.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Newsguy

John

Thanks John; But as of this morning, the wheel is in the lock position. I can get the key in and out but cannot turn it at all to start the car. I followed the instructions in the manual to turn the wheel but I still cannot turn the key. I'm afraid I will break the key. Please anyone, How do you release the locking device? take a fuse out? disconnect the battery? anything........

(Not another tow) Jim

Reply to
Newsguy

Oh yes, GM's infuriating 'antitheft' features.

Try this - the wheel will turn in one direction when you apply pressure. You might have to muscle it a bit, but you'll note it turns in one direction, but not the other. And only a little bit. The trick is to turn it a bit and relieve the pressure on the lock pin that locks it, and then you can turn the key (hopefully).

The manual's really vauge on this, my mom once got stuck this way, we couldn't figure it out either for a while.

If you turn the wheel a bit in the direction it's 'free' (i.e., it turns), then turn the key, it SHOULD release. If it's not, you've got a real problem with the setup.

GM did a lot of ^%$#^^^ stupid things with keys, the shift lever, the steering wheel on their cars. My favorite is the old console shift cars that have the mechanism all the back to the collum for a neutral start feature. Just put in a stupid switch!

I don't get what motivates them at times. I really don't.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Our LW200 didn't take hodl of the key and not let go like yours, but it wore the center of the key shaft until it was very thin. Thick at the tip and near the other end, but along the middle was very thin.

I showed it to our service advisor at 30,000 miles and they replaced the key and "worked on the ignition key chamber".

Maybe a similar problem?

"Newsguy" wrote in news:OegBc.10767$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny01.gnilink.net:

Reply to
Steph

Hi Thanks all for responding;

Steph my key and yours were the same problem. although Saturn replaces the cylinder housing and the tumblers. They rekeyed for the same key. It is working now. all $202 of it.

btw: Saturn said to insert the key and then with a hammer tap (forcefully ) at the end of the key to seat it further into the lock.That should free up the lock. I did and it did work with some resistance. I did not have to have it towed.

Reply to
Newsguy