2002 SC2 noises

2002 SC2 manual transmission

When I start the car after it sits for a while, I get this brief clunking sound as I start to drive either forwards or backwards (most noticeable in reverse or whenever I don't give it much gas) . After maybe 30 seconds to a minute of driving it goes away.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
psycho_tronic

Does the sound happen then stop or does it continue for 30 seconds? If it just happens for a moment, it could just be the sound of the ABS cycling - it does it every time you start the car. If it is continuous, it is likely somthing else.

psycho snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
RangerRover

Reply to
psycho_tronic

Definitely changes with *engine* speed and not *vehicle* speed?

An easy way to tell the difference is to hold speed constant while downshifting to a lower gear (even with an automatic transmission) to see if the noise changes. If it does, then it's related to engine rpm; if it doesn't, then it's related to vehicle speed.

And if the noise is present only when the car is moving, and varies with speed (but not engine rpm), it might be the speedometer cable.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Dealer Diagnosis: Piston Slap

Recommendation: Do nothing, it is normal for the car. Idle car for a while until it lessens, then drive at low RPM's until warmup.

Reply to
psycho_tronic

A thought occured to me. I wonder if the "rattle" caused by this would affect the knock sensor, causing the timing to be retarded under acceleration, and be the reason the car seems to have a bit less pep than my '96? Where is the knock sensor(s) mounted?

Reply to
psycho_tronic