91 SL1 new clutch

by a neighborhood mechanic - the clutch engages about 1" from the floor - very difficult to shift; Asked if it could be adjusted to 1/2 pedal travel - he said he shortened the clutch fork - would get better (ha) - Any suggestions on how to adjust the "self-adjusting" (according to the mx manual)clutch? I'll do it myself rather than asking the mechanic AGAIN - - -thanks

Reply to
Chuck

This is a classic symptom of the hydraulic master/slave assembly going out. It's around $100 from the dealer and not very difficult to change. As far as I'm aware, the Saturn clutch has no manual adjustment capability.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Same happened to mine a couple of years ago. It's usually a sign that there is a very small seep somewhere in the hydraulics- slowly loosing some fluid. It's classified as a 1 piece, non-repairable system. As mentioned, you replace the entire 1 piece unit. Requires a bit of disassembly to get at the tubes, but it's an OK DIY replacement. There are no adjustments. Just install it and go. The longer you wait, the more likely you will get stuck somewhere when you won't be able to release the clutch at all.

Mike Martin