'92 SL2 Timing Belt

If the belt breaks on these cars, are they toast?

Reply to
M Warren

They don't have a timing belt. They have a chain.

Reply to
rufus

All of the S-series Saturn engines have timing chains which are supposed to last the life of the engine. If the chain does happen to skip teeth or somehow break, you're gonna bend your valves and hurt the pistons.

So in short, its an interference engine, and if something should happen to the chain; yes, its toast.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

It might be that what you think is the timing belt is actually the serpentine belt that drives the water pump, power steering, AC, and alternator. If it breaks the engine won't necessarily be toast, unless you try to keep driving it with the water pump not being spun.

Reply to
Napalm Heart

...But generally speaking, if the timing chain (or belt if so equipped) breaks or even skips a few teeth, you've got yerself a situation there. Few engines these days are the non-interference types.

Reply to
Oppie

Sorry, I meant to speak chain; my fingers wrote belt. Thanks to all, I expected as much, saw one for sale and the guy said that all it needed was a new chain... didn't think that would solve it... thanks again

Matt

Reply to
M Warren