93 SL@ hops out of gear

My 93 SL2 will occasionally jump from 4th to neutral while I am driving down the road. I am not accelerating when this occurs. The problem happens for awhile and then goes away. Any one know why this happens?

TIA,

Mark

Reply to
elmo

I have the same problem. I've found that it happens when I don't fully engage the gear when shifting into it. In other words, make sure you are fully in gear (even if you have to double-clutch) or there is a chance it will pop out.

Also, it'll do it more often if you accelerate hard. Nothing like hitting the 6000+ rev-limiter because your car jumps out of gear!

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Joe Dufu

My guess is that either the linkage needs adjustment or you have a broken mount.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

My 93 has the same problem and this is one problem that has existed since first owning the vehicle. I, long ago, read of some bulletin that basically said that this problem was due to a mis-match of some gear and that it would require a change of that gear in order to mesh correctly. I was never able to get the detailed hard info, i.e. paper, from any source, but there were quite a few listed problems that seemed to indicate a number design problems that needed attention. I had gotten the list of defects that listed these campaign problems from a library source that had compiled such auto related problem info. I still have the printout somewhere. My list did not go into great depth for each problem as it only listed these problems. Again, this was info from many years ago, yet this one problem stuck in my mind as it was very apparent from day one....

Maybe someone who is Saturn experienced with the history of the

93's campaign bullet> My 93 SL2 will occasionally jump from 4th to neutral while I am driving down
Reply to
user

I had a similar sounding problem on my 92 SL2 waay back when it was under warranty. Saturn seemed to know what to do to fix the problem. My writeup from when it was fixed (4/94) says they replaced the "housing assembly" on the tranny, part # 21120077.

Not sure if this is the same problem you have, but maybe you can ask your local service dept about it...

Reply to
Gary DelGrego