96 SL1 clutch squeaks

I have a 96 sl1 with about 138k miles on it, recently the clutch started squeaking. I took it to saturn and they recommended I spend about 275.00 on some repairs (don't know exactly what)but they were not sure that would fix the problem, if it didn't the clutch would be next and that would cost about $1200.00. of course i declined and thought about selling it and getting a newer model, but I'm having second thoughts, I bought this car new and I'm kind of attached. I like some advice please!!

Reply to
jogone

I had a 97 SL2 manual.

There is a bushing on the clutch pedal that gets dried out. Get your head under the dash - remove the clutch pedal. There are two clips - one holds it onto the pivot, one pivots to the clutch master cylinder.

There is a white plastic bushing in the pivot. I removed it, slathered it with teflon grease (Radio Shack sells it, bike shops also do).

Put things back together - no problems since.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Hi Kirk, Thank you very much for the help! it was very obvious that one of the bushings was the cause of the squeak once I took it apart. I'm going to buy new tires now and keep it for ......who knows how long? Thanks again!!! Jogone

Reply to
jogone