96 SL2 Shut-off problem

My 96SL2 (AT) has recently developed a problem when I shut it off. The engine seems to shut off BEFORE I can get the key moved into the "lock" position, and then I can't move the key into "lock" or remove it from the ignition. I have to start the car and then try again. It only happens sporadically. I have no problems starting, only when I'm shutting the car off. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
Fantine

Any correlation with position of steering wheel or angle of the surface on which you stop your car? Make sure your steering wheel is straight before you turn your key. If you're parking on a hill, depress your brake and turn your key before the car starts to roll; if it locks before the "lock" position, let it roll a bit and then try to turn the key.

Reply to
Steve

OK, here's the follow-up to my problem. Went to the dealer. They pulled out the ignition cylinder and said it looked okay, but that my key were worn. They cut me a new key. Still had the same problem. Went back and they replaced the ignition cylinder. Still have the same problem. Any suggestions as to what I should try next? I'm parking the car with the wheels straight and I keep my foot on the brake before I shut the car off, so I don't think it's that.

Reply to
Fantine

At this point, if I were you, I'd try another GM dealer (preferably Saturn) in the area or an independent mechanic who has a good reputation. Also, if they haven't already done so, I'd be after the dealer you've been using to contribute (at least 1/2) towards the cost of the unnecessary replacement of the ignition cylinder. If they flatly refuse (after escalating to Service Manager and, if necessary, to General Manager), I'd call Saturn Customer Service at 800-553-6000. Good luck!

Reply to
Steve

Well, I called Saturn this morning, and they were very apologetic, although I'll wait until I'm face to face with them to talk about the bill. They asked me to bring the car during the week (I had come in on the weekends before) and to leave the car there, so one of the supervisors can take a look at it. One issue is that the key doesn't lock every time I shut the car off, only sometimes. The service consultant was able to reproduce the problem I had, but the technicians could not.

I'll give them one more try and then go elsewhere. What a pain.

Reply to
Fantine