ABS problem

Hello, I have a 93 SC2 and it's been great. but this past couple of weeks when I first leave the driveway I can hear the ABS clicking away when I hit the breaks, two day's ago if did the same then the Anit-Lock light litp while driving. Now when I start up the car the light goes out, and within a minute I can hear a click and the light goes on. The breaks are working fine (though I can asume I have not ABS).

Anyone have any idea what might have gone or is causing this, it would be nice to get it fixed before the winter

thanks Brent

Reply to
HAKSAW

Probably a bad wheel speed sensor or broken wiring to one of them. You'd need a scan tool to read the ABS codes to find out which one it was..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

If the idiot light went on, the computer likely stored a code. On your 93, you can read them with a paperclip. Instructions are at

. Refer toDiagnostic Trouble Code Information, and Diagnostic Trouble Code Chart for1st Gen Saturns.

Or, people posting here have said you can stop by any Auto Zone and have them read the codes for no charge.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

You can't read the ABS codes with a paper clip, you need a scan tool (and one that's capable of reading ABS codes, not all are).

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Lane is so very right. You can use a paper clip, or any jumper, to short the 2 pins and you count the flashes on the dash. It is all explained in any Saturn tech book for 93's. The pattern of flashes corresponds to the error code that exists if the auto has a problem. Really neat feature and wish they'd do this with all auto's. I know this exists with 93's as I've done it numerous times on my '93 Saturn. Even essentially told me when I forgot to hook up a vacuum line. Page 6-5 of Haynes Saturn 91 -

94 manual has Code 81, which is ABS message fault(1993 vehicles > You can't read the ABS codes with a paper clip, you need a scan tool (and
Reply to
user

There are two levels of codes - the basic one that can be done with a paper clip & count the flashes of the dash light or with a basic code reader = such as code 81 for ABS fault or Air Bag System fault.

On the second level - needing a dealer type code reader it can be see what the fault code is - wheel sensor, driver's air bag unit. Some car can even tell which wheel sensor is bad.

Reply to
<mcben

That is only reading the ECM codes, though. Code 81 only indicates an ABS-related problem, which provides no additional information given that the ABS light is on. You need a scan tool to read the trouble code from the EBCM to find out what kind of ABS problem it is..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
user

A GM Tech 1 scanner should certainly be able to read out the ABS codes from a Delco ABS VI system. I believe there are a few 3rd party scan tools/software packages that can as well, but don't know which offhand..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
user

I will admit to not having access to too much info about the older Saturn ABS setup specifically, but on every other GM platform with the Delco ABS VI system, you certainly can read ABS-specific data and trouble codes with a GM scan tool. Otherwise the system would be impossible to diagnose. The Chilton's and Haynes books don't typically list any of the ABS diagnostic codes. There is another whole set of 2-digit codes for the ABS system which are read separately from the engine/powertrain codes, which indicate faults such as a lack of signal, excessive speed variation, or wiring shorts on the wheel speed sensor circuits, as well as problems with the ABS hydraulic module.

In my experience, service managers/service writers aren't always too up on these kinds of things, the mechanics in the back are the ones who actually know what they're talking about..

Reply to
Robert Hancock