CATYLITIC CONVERTER

i took my 93 sl2 automatic saturn to the ford repair shop (close by my house)because it was rattling underneath like crazy. he said it was the catalytic converter and it would cost me $650 to replace it! amazing how i found one at auto zone for $73. anyway, is this hard to replace? i am not a mechanic by any means. thanks for any help, curley

Reply to
CURLEY

I don't know the specifics of that vehicle. In general though, I use a good penetrating fluid on the bolt threads, let it sit for aobut 10 minutes to soak in. Apply some more and then use a good impact wrench to remove the bolt. An impact wrench when properly used breaks up rust and is less likely to break anything else. If the bolt is too rusted to grab with the socket wrench, I cut off the nut or bolt head with a torch and replace the hardware (with the correct grade bolts/nuts). If your are not a mechanic, you will most likely have a difficult time of it. Another thing to look for, if you remove the old cat and see a large section of the honeycomb missing, it is most probably lodged inside your muffler and causing back pressure. It is often good to replace the muffler and any questionable pipes in the process. Perhaps that's why you got the high repair cost. Verify what was to be done for the $650. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

If you, as you say, are not a mechanic by any means, doing work on your exhaust system is not the way to start. A good independant garage should be able to do the job for much less than the $650.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

I would get a quote from your local Saturn shop first on the cat and labor, I dont believe $650. is reasonable, but then again, I dont know how much that part costs. The repair is simple for a trained mechanic with the proper tools which includes a lift to raise your car up. The cat unbolts from the exhaust system, but freeing the bolts can be no fun, and maneuvering the exhaust is tricky for a novice.

Do yourself a favor and get a second opinion either from Saturn or another local reputable shop that is experienced with Saturns.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Being as its a 93 if he is in a state with salt on the roads or air those bolts only have one option and that is to break. Getting those bolts extracted or replacing that flang was factored into the bill most likely along with other time eating crap that usually pops up. My question would be what is rattling, the sheild that usually covers the cat or the honey comb inside?

Reply to
blah blah

On the '93 SL2 he specified, the cat does not unbolt from the exhaust system. I believe that it is a part of the downpipe. Most people would address replacing it by cutting it off the downpipe and welding the new one on. The same would be done with a flange which allows the remainder of the exhaust system to mate up to the new cat properly. Get a few quotes from exhaust shops. Most can do this sort of work quite reasonably.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I have a 93 and the honeycomb inside came loose and just rattled around in there, Saturn wanted 700 for the parts alone, i bought one that fit a berreta i think it was and done some welding on it to make it fit, may want to check with a muffler shop ! , if i was to do it again i would knock out the honeycomb and keep on truckin ! but that depends on where you live.

Reply to
justastreekin

I have a 93 and the honeycomb inside came loose and just rattled around in there, Saturn wanted 700 for the parts alone, i bought one that fit a berreta i think it was and done some welding on it to make it fit, may want to check with a muffler shop ! , if i was to do it again i would knock out the honeycomb and keep on truckin ! but that depends on where you live.

Reply to
justastreekin

Saturn 1.9's use "compression sense", bad plugs and wires will throw that off. Always check a new set of wires with an ohm meter. I like to wrap my wires in wire looms to keep them from rubbing through on metal. They usually out last the plugs that way. Hopefully you used "double platinum" plugs (ac delco or autolite my pref) since it is a "waste spark" system. That will give you another good 80k miles of use out of them.

Reply to
blah blah

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU, I WENT AND BOUGHT A UNIVERSAL CONVERTER AND TOOK MY CAR TO A DIFFERENT SHOP: CONVERTER $73, INSTALL $60, SWEEET! THE MECHANIC SAYS I WILL NEED A MUFFLER NEXT, IT IS RUSTING THROUGH, AND THE CLAMP (OR WHATEVER IS HOLDING IT ON) THAT BOLTS IT ON IS RUSTING ALSO ( I MOVED TO WISCONSIN FROM CALIFORNIA AND IT IS KILLING ME). IS THIS AN "EASY FIX"? OR DO I NEED TO GO THE SAME ROUTE AS BEFORE? HERE WE GO AGAIN!

Reply to
CURLEY

The clamp will fail long before the muffler, when it does the exhaust will drop down and ride on the rear suspension and could cause additional damage. Both my cars mufflers are held in place with heavy wire, probably coat hangers. This was only until I could fix properly, but I think I have got more service from the wire than from the correct muffler clamp. Use several wires for extra redundant security.

CAUTION: YMMV

Reply to
private