Coolant Temperature Sensor location

I just bought a CTS (Part Number 385146) for my 2000 SL and I don't know where it goes. It's a small piece about 2 inches long and has a two-pin plug at one side. I believe it should thread into the block or radiator somewhere but after looking under the hood for some time, I can't figure it out. If someone could explain in simple terms where it goes, that would be much appreciated.

Brian

P.S. If the SL is still running extreme idle and I have to change the Automatic Idle Air Control Motor (which I haven't bought yet), I may need help locating that too.

Reply to
stinknugget

(Note: Info below based on a '95 DOHC SW2. Yours should be similar.).

Open the hood. Immediately to the right of the valve cover, between it and the air hose, is a can-like object mounted vertically on your engine block. This is your EGR valve. Just below and slightly behind the EGR valve is a little dingus sticking out of the block with a wire leading from it. This is your CTS.

Drain radiator. Remove wire. Remove CTS. Install CTS (use teflon tape or antisieze compound on the threads). Do not overtighten! Attach wire. Refill radiator. Drive.

Reply to
William Hughes

William Hughes typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Don't bother to drain the radiator. when you pull the old CTS out, you'll lose maybe a pint of fluid. just put something on the ground to absorb it, and then top the fliud off when you're done. then just rinse off the tranny to get the leftover old fluid off, and enjoy you fixed car.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

This assumes a cold engine and unpresurized cooling system :)

(yes, that's how I found out about it too. Doh!)

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Philip Nasadowski typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Well, yeah... I really don't like burning myself, so I tend to work on my car when it is cold. That's one of the good things about DIY.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

I have to add from my experience in changing my CTS, if you have the new CTS all preped with 'removable' lock-tight, you can unscrew the old one and have the new one in fast enough that draining any coolant isn't necessary. I'm guessing I've been lucky when I do it, since the engine is nice and cool, and the overflow tank cap is tight.

Rememer, if you are at all uncomfortable in doing any auto work, find a qualified person. Might cost you like 30 bucks over the $10 CTS purchased from Napa.

imho,

tom @

The Real Tom