GM CLT (Coolant Temperature Sensor)

I went snooping around under the hood, and discovered that someone had done some re-wiring. The CLT screwed into the engine has only one wire (green) sticking out of it, and the other wire (red), clipped off. I tried to find the red wire, but it's nowhere to be found. Where does it go? Can I possibly re-connect it to its intended terminal? Doesn't the computer need input from this sensor for its automatic controls? Could this explain why my check engine light keeps going on after the car's been running for awhile, after climbing a hill on the highway and coming to a stop at the exit (no radiator fan?) ?

This is a 94 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8 I kind of gave up on readers and scanners.

Does anyone have any idea of where the red wire is supposed to connect?

Jon

Reply to
Jon G.

If this is the same wiring schematic that I'm thinking of, and also assuming that there are 2 sensors there (the one in question, and another with a yellow and black wire), this one is just to control the idiot light on the dash. That's it. That's all it does. The red wire does nothing. To test, unplug the harness from the questionable sensor with the engine running. If the "temp" light comes on on the dash my suspicions are correct. Kinda sounds like someone needed to replace it and the only one that the auto parts store had was one with 2 wires. Keep in mind, though, that this info is assumed correct based on 2nd gen v6 cavi. Does your car have a history of overheating? The CEL could be something completely unrelated to the sensor.

Reply to
Kardain

Jon....Kardain may be correct. I have a two-wire connection on my GM. The Red wire is the ECM input and the other wire is ECM ground, but your vehicle may be different.

The AutoZone website has wiring diagrams and other useful info. You have to register first and then input your vehicle. After you've done that, click the Repair Info link>Repair guide>then look for the appropriate link...wiring diagrams/etc.

Hope this helps.....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt