Do CV joints squeal ?

My 2002 SL1 75000km auto front suspension started to make squeal noise not engine related but at the start of a drive - no time for bearing to heat up yet. I pulled a u-turn back to my garage & put the front end up on a jack spun and wiggled both front wheels - slight squeak from right for just a second or 2 noise went away & I drove home - 20 miles - no noise. Any guesses ? I didn't do any parking lot turning-tests for CV joint yet - under normal driving - it seemed OK. Thanks ; John T

Reply to
_jj_

OK I'll answer my own question ... Saturn dealer originally quoted about $ 750. plus 3 hours labour to replace the complete RF axle due to hanger bearing noise. I questioned it rather strongly - then after the service person consulted the mechanic - a hanger bearing kit was agreed to. ($60. plus 1.5 hours labour) But, of course - they found a head gasket leak ... I'm beginning to regret I ever heard of Saturn. Until next time .. John T.

Reply to
_jj_

I got a reman axle from AutoZone for under $80 about a month ago and changed it myself using a $10 Haynes manual with about an hour's work. If you have a bit of patience, confidence, and a decent set of tools, you may want to consider rolling up your sleeves for future repairs? If a person has the time and willingness to learn, saving a lot of money really gives you an enormous 'job well done' feeling of satisfaction.

$750 is unreal. I don't know how these dealers live with themselves when charging people those kind of prices.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Thanks for your reply, Lane. The $ 750 was axle assembly - including CV joints; hanger bearing; .. not sure what else .. My local garage phoned-around after talking to the Saturn dealer - but no luck with after market suppliers. As for doing the work myself - my past attempts at auto repair have usually proved futile - I have vivid memories of a 5 hour oil change on a 72 Vega that had the filter seized on ... I think I invented a few new swear words, that day. JT

Reply to
_jj_