Drum Pulls Off Easily

My grandparents recently bought me a 1997 SL1 with my money without consulting me first. I am having a couple issues that I'm not sure where to start.

  1. Last week, I blew a tire. While changing the tire I found that the brake drum easily slides off without making any adjustments. I know that it means it's so far out of adjustment that I cannot solve the problem by applying the brakes while going in reverse, but don't know how to adjust them otherwise.

  1. I changed the oil maybe a week after they bought it. It was very very black. Since then, I have had to add nearly a gallon of oil. What has me stumped is that I don't see any oil spots where I park, there is no oil being sprayed out under the hood, no sign of it in the coolant and it doesn't seem to be burning it either. Any ideas?

Reply to
IrwinDesign

Well as for item #2, if you don't see it on the ground then it's going out the tailpipe, which is not good news. Item #1 sounds like you need a brake job done on the rears.

Reply to
Keith

tailpipe, which is not good news.

Not necessarily. It could be going into the coolant.

Reply to
Steve

Buy the shop manual either from

or get a Haynes manual. Chiltons manuals are, these days, the manual of last preference.

If you have any mechanical ability and the interest in doing so, a brake job is fairly easy with a decent set of tools. Bummer about the oil consumption. Check the PCV valve. A clogged valve will cause the oil to get dirty fast. What type of oil did you use? Perhaps it is time to use one of the oils made specially for high mileage engines. Try at least a 10W30 if not 20W40(?). How hot does the engine get when running? Oil gets dark from blow-by gasses, from heat and high loads.

Saturn advertizes a de-gunking proceedure that is supposed to remove build-up on the piston rings -especially the oil control ring. I have no experience with this - perhaps others will comment.

Reply to
Oppie

the tailpipe, which is not good news.

Quite true, but if you'd read the original post he stated that he checked the coolant...

Reply to
Keith

IMHE the Chilton's manuals are superior to the Haynes and are definitely thicker (almost double), but YMMV.

Reply to
Private

To each their own. I started learning how to work on things on old (1970's) chilton manuals and got a lot out of them. More recent Chilton's didn't seem to be as thorough. Haynes usually includes a wiring diagram which in today's cars is pretty much a must. In any event, neither was available at the time I bought my lw300 used and I spang for the factory manual. No complaints other than a lousy index. Was meant to be viewed online and didn't make a graceful transition to print.

Reply to
Oppie

Does Saturn sell the "factory manual" ... or do you have connections in the trade ? I asked about buying the shop manual for my 2002 SL1 .. the Saturn dealer said " NOPE we don't sell them. " JT

Reply to
hubops

Even though you don't see any smoke, it is most likely burning the oil. Easiest thing you can do first is change your PCV valve.

Search saturnfans.com forums for 'oil consumption' and you'll come across a thread where others have reported some measure of success in reducing the consumption. I believe it has something to do with a treatment with Marvel Mystery Oil.

Many people draw the conclusion that oil consumption leads to premature death of the motor, but with these cars, that is not the case. Keep the level where it should be on the dipstick by checking it often, and listen for telltale signs of timing chain wear, and it should still live a long life.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I got mine through the saturn parts counter. Found out later that could have gotten it also through

Same price - give or take shipping.

Reply to
Oppie

Wow, this is almost exactly what I wrote in 2002 after buying my 1995 SW1. One response that I remember was 'Oil and alternators are consumables when you own a Saturn'.

I just kept an eye on the level and all was ok for 5 years until the car was removed from service.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz