Fix for 2003-2004 ION non start problem

Hi all,

Recently a friend of mine had some trouble with her 2003 ion. When she would try to start it in the morning, especially if it was cold outside, the engine would do nothing (or maybe just one turn, then nothing), and a warning light would flash. It was a security light with a lock. Wait a while, then try again, and it would usually start.

The problem is this: There is an ignition switch that tells the computer to unlock the security system and allow the car to be started when the key is turned. That switch has grease that is too thick, and it will stick. If you turn the key and the switch doesn't send a signal to the computer, the car thinks you are stealing it, and it locks down for

8-10 minutes.

The solution is this: Go to a Saturn dealership and ask for the NEW ignitions switch. When I went in the guy said "we sell these things all the time". The part is about $50. It takes an hour to install. It's pretty easy, except that there are a few hex / star screws that are difficult to reach because of the angle. Remove the cover from around the steering column, and you will see the switch. Remove the switch, replace with the new one, replace the covers. Now you have to re-program the security system. It's easy. Turn the key to START, then release (leave in the ON position). The system will lock down. Wait 15 minutes. Turn the key forward to START, then release again (leave in ON pos). System will lock down 2nd time. Repeat a third time. After the third time, the car will start. You might have to turn it back to the OFF position after the 3rd time, I'm not sure.

Good luck.

Reply to
BillErwin