Front air spoiler on 96 SW1 needed?

Hi all,

The low front air spoiler on this car came loose and I pulled it off. It appears to have no function other than scraping on curbstones as I park. Is it doing something I don't know about, or can I just throw it away?

TIA, Chuck Connell

781-939-0505 (office)
-- My home page
Reply to
Chuck Connell

The air dam directs air flow up to the radiator to cool the engine. It probably to a lesser extent is designed to improve the vehicle's aerodynamics and improve fuel mileage.

I have no idea how much less air flow you'll get to the radiator or if this will be a problem. You might be able to find one in a salvage yard.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

As already noted, it's very important to getting airflow over your radiator. I knocked mine off in summer of last year; my temp gauge spent most of its time over 3/4 until I got a new one.

The air dam and mounting springs cost me $25 at the dealer; a new set of just the springs was about $9. (I drive a '94 SW2.)

Dav2.718

Reply to
David Hungerford

Is this car equipped with air conditioning?

In my case (SL1 96 w/o Air), The dealer told me that this part was not required on my car and that it even came originally without it... but that can also be a canadian exception.

Car temp behaves normally, and the cracked cylinder head I had shouldn't be related to this.

Reply to
PH Pelletier