Help - Rotors frozen on Ion-2

It's time to change the rotors on my 2005 Ion-2. The two retaining clips were easy enough but the rotor is rusted to the hub.

What's better? Heat? (I don't have a torch, but have to ask)

Beat it with a big hammer?

Find some kind of puller somewhere?

Thanks!

Reply to
somebody

IMHO, normal in-service heat cycles have caused the rotor to SHRINK and lock to the hub, corrosion will be a contributing factor but the shrinking action is the major factor and probably means that penetrating type oils will not help.

Heat with an OA torch is the only thing that I have had good constant success with. It is hot enough to swell the rotor quickly without heating the hub. OxyPropane will probably do it but not as nicely or as quickly and may cause overheating of the hub & bearing, IMHE straight propane is a waste of time and is even more likely to cause overheating of the hub.

IMHE, Use a large size cutting tip or medium rosebud heating tip with multiple flames, apply the heat to the rotor at and inside of the bolt circle. It seldom takes more than a couple of seconds if done with a large tip in the right place, it does not result in much or any heating to the greater mass of the outer rotor.

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private