L300 accident

A friend had a pretty bad accident with a 2004 L300 wagon. Basically lost control and squeezed the front between 2 other cars. So bascially headlights and fenders on both sides done it, along with hood, bumper and some damage to the front under carriage.... a suspension cradle and some of the exhaust pipe has to be replaced. All together about $5000 worth of damage on a $22k car. I fortunately have never been involved in such a big accident or repair so I have no experience but my buddy was wondering if he can expect the car to be put back together properly, or should he get rid of it before problems show up. Anyone out there with experience?

Reply to
Art

jdoe

Glad your friend is OK. Otherwise, all it takes is money. Look for rattles. See how well it rolls on a slight grade (an indication that something is binding if it doesn't roll well). Have the engine and transmission codes checked to see if anything was logged still (and the check engine lamp just wasn't disconnected). Any fluid leaks. Clunks when shifting. If you have any suspicions, have the wheel alignment re-checked (4-wheel alignment) and change fluids in the transmission and engine - look for metal shavings in the oil.

Reply to
Oppie

I had a similar accident with my '98 SL2 but it was heavier damage on one side instead of medium on both.... same tally, 5k worth of damage. I got my repairs done at the dealers' body shop and my car had never run smoother than after the repairs were done.

Reply to
Wurm