Leaking battery and clutch assembly

My 2000-2001 Saturn LS2 starts up fine, but when I go to shift into

1st it dies the instant I begin to lift up on the clutch. If I give it lots of gas, I can get it going and it will work fine for the most part (I've had it do this once while sitting at a stop light). I've checked the hydraulic clutch fluid, and it is right at the recommended level.

My battery died a horrible leaky death last week, and I can see where the black tube coming out of the bottom of the clutch fluid resevoir looks to be fairly corroded (not any visible holes though). I've read a few posts back where someone says that this assembly comes as a single unit for around $120. Am I looking at the right thing to fix the problem? Or is there something else I should check before I go parts shopping?

Thanks, Katy

Reply to
Chet Hoster