loud squealing noise

1994 sl2 it started last winter on cold mornings and now it does almost every startup especially if it sits for a while. its a very loud squeling noise for several seconds and then it abruptly stops, the duration varies. Turning off/on the AC and heater does not affect it either. turning the wheel does not affect the sound but reving the motor does.

thanks

Reply to
JL

Have you tried a mink coat? That stopped all the spurious loud squealing in my Saturn...

Reply to
Ritz

It could be a belt, or wate rpump or a altenator bearing. Use a 3 or 4 foot piece of heater hose with one end to ear and other in engine compartment when it is cold started to locate source by checking areas mention above.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

when my 94 SL did this in wintertime, it turned out to be the serpentine belt. When was the last time it was changed or belt dressing applied?

marx404

Reply to
marx404

mine did that usualy in the morning especialy when it was cold. problem was the idler pully bearings i took em off and greased them.

Reply to
justastreekin

Good Tip!

SnoMan

Thanks for the tips about the Idle pulley and belt. I will check them out!

Reply to
JL