Odd noise from front left....

Had this noise for several months & damned if I can find any cause for it.

Happens when the vehicle is cold & is a fairly loud whap, whap, whap sound, seeming to come from under the hood right in front of the driver, which varies with road speed up to around 40mph when it stops. Drop below 40 & it comes back. Goes away as the vehicle warms up. Is not affected by applying the brakes. I've had the wheel off & checked the brakes, the driveshaft boots, felt around the wheel to see if there's anything rubbing, but so far nothing. Any ideas?

Chris

Reply to
CRGILL

Does it vary with road speed or engine speed/rpm? For road speed I'm gonna guess here.....could be a flat spot on the left front tire. RPM/engine speed is most likely a belt Both are rubber, both will be hard in cold weather and as the vehicle warms up, the rubber does as well, resutling in a softening and the noise goes away. When still cold after 40 mph the frequency is so rapid that it actually disapates.

Reply to
John

Check if the rotors touch the disc covers at one point during a full rotation. This can occur when the rotors are taken off and put back on with some rust/ debris trapped underneath.

florian

Reply to
FFF

The point about engine vs road speed applies. If engine rpm - Very likely failing timing belt tensioner or piston slap. Inspecting inside the TB cover for an abraded spot will be diagnostic for the TB. Also, could very well be piston slap - notorious in some soob engines and will definitely subside as engine warms up. Do a search for these issues on the forums at

Um - did we miss what vehicle, model year, mileage etc.?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

CRGILL wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Details, details ; )

Reply to
John

Could be the CV joint; they do funny things with sound sometimes - how many miles are on them? ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Reply to
ThaDriver