e-brake cables

I have an old BroncoII 4x4 that I want to drive through the winter instead of my 2wd pickup. However, it has a couple issues pertaining to passing inspection. The e-brake cables are seized up. The tech doesn't know which of the three are good and which are bad, but he did some research and learned that the front cable is no longer available (neither from the dealer or aftermarket) and the rear cables cost $50 each. The tech also knows of a local place that makes custom e-brake cables but has no idea what they would charge.

What do you think? Does anyone have a functional (partial) set of cables I could buy?

I think I'll probably have to figure out the weight limit of my truck to load it down this year and save up for a new(er) 4x4.

Thanks in advance for your "two cents" :-).

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Where are you located?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Western NY.

I have relatives that live outside Raleigh, NC (which is near you, IIRC).

Do you think you could fix it (if it was near you), or are you interested in a parts donor?

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Well, what I was getting at was:

A few years back I was a manager at a company called Monro Muffler when I lived up north, they kept all types of cables, both universal and direct fit on the shelf. They are in your area, and you might have good luck there.

Bear in mind, I'm not plugging the company, just trying to help dude.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Oh yeah,

They will sell over the counter too.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Ok, thanks for that info. A few weeks ago one of the local Monro shops was kind enough to install a muffler I brought from Autozone on that BII. (it is a $17 muffler; $80-$100 is too steep for a beater) I'll have to see what sort of deal they would be willing to make.

The other problem is both leaf springs are cracked. (one of which was installed only a year ago, and I haven't used the vehicle all summer :-\) I need to look into the estimated cost of that, bearing in mind that this is a beater :-).

Thanks for responding and have a nice evening!

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Check with Wheeling Spring, in Wheeling, WV. They can custom cut a spring to your size pretty easy. There is probably a shop near you that will do it too, I'm just not familiar with it.

You need to measure:

Overall length, width and thickness, distance from each end to the center bolt hole, and which leaf it is in the pack.

Good luck man,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader