Maximum Weight?

With an extraordinarily sturdy roof rack on the A and C pillars, what is the maximum weight an SL1 should be able to carry? Well balanced of course?

My '88 Camry that just bit the dust at 212,000 miles and was replaced by the

1995 SL1 needs to see that I abuse the new kid on the block too.

Seriously, I strap anything that doesn't impede vision on my vehicles. Just looking for the heaviest items you may have gotten away with. I've had almost 3/4 of a ton on the Camry, but I doubt the Saturn will be able to take that much weight. The Camry didn't like it much and since the roof rack I was using on it was a modified 2X4 system, the roof looked like an upside-down snow sled.

Just so you don't think I'm a troll, I assure you, I'm totally serious in this post and can tell many a story of mattresses, lumber, sheetrock, even furniture and a 40' ladder on that ole car.

Oh... One more thing. Is the roof Aluminum like the hood or is it a steel-alloy or something? All the weight is going onto the rack I'm going to use and the A/C pillars, but just in case....

Regards, Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Do you know what CPE1704TKS is? eMail me and tell me. No Google cheating, okay?

Gearhand.com - The very best in frustrating, cool games.

Reply to
Joe Agro

Ahh, so this was you! :)

I put about 750 lbs of patio blocks inside my '94 SC2 and it was riding on the bumpstops. Somehow I have a hard time imagining 1500 lbs ON THE ROOF of a Camry? To me that seems a bit unsafe to have all that weight over my head ready to crush me at any instant... but that's just me, I guess.

The Saturn hood is not aluminum, it is steel. The roof on all Saturns (except for early wagons) is also steel.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

No, but if that car is driveable, they are my heros! :)

My Camry had angled A and C pillars which held the weight very well. That and the fact that it was an '88 made it a bit more sturdy than most of the newer cars. I doubt I'd ever put anything over 700 lbs on my Saturn's roof, but if someone says they put 1000, then I know where my limit would be extended to.

What I'm worried about are those wrap-around windshield and back window elements. Any little bit of flex (and the back C pillars are straight up and down, not angled) will cuase those to crack.

Really? Hmmm... Good news for some things, but bad news for my dings. I gotta do some touch up tomorrow or risk rust...

Thanks for the (only) reply.

Regards, Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Do you know what CPE1704TKS is? eMail me and tell me. No Google cheating, okay?

Gearhand.com - The very best in frustrating, cool games.

Reply to
Joe Agro

A reply by Lane is normally informative enough that no one else really needs to reply! Best Wishes to Lane.

Best Wishes to you, too.

Ken

Saturn's roof,

straight up