Scary! $10 Rotors on Amazon

I was snooping around Amazon for S-Series parts and look at what I came across! It's hard to tell how thick the rotor is but I doubt that it'd last long :P

-Brian

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

I don't know this for certain, but I would think there were minimum specifications it would have to meet in order to fit and work on a Saturn and meet OEM requirements. I'd be amazed if the average person chose to use these and noticed ANY difference between them and something significantly more expensive.

I used to use Wagner premium rotors (ran almost $80 each if I recall correctly) and got tired of paying that much for rotors, so I switched to some $20 cheapies from Autozone. Been buying the cheap ones ever since. No perceptible difference in longevity, stopping power, grip, rust, "warping", etc. And I use them on both my daily driver AND on the track car (which seriously abuses rotors and pads).

Brian - I don't see anwhere that it states what car/model/axle it is for. Where were you able to see that information? With free super saver shipping, I'm tempted to pick up a set of these.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I did a search for front brake rotors for my 92 SL2.

I did find one AIMCO 1015581 for 16.99.

Then I saw a 'COMING SOON' $10.78 each AR8238. Probably will never arrive but you never know.

James

Reply to
James1549

I agree, I do not understand why anyone would think about refacing used rotors. IMHE, the cheapies are at least as good and usually better than OEM.

Private

There is a feature in the Amazon Auto area where you select your make and model. 1997 Saturn SC2, ABS power front disk rear drum or something, even though I definetly dont have ABS. Shouldnt matter unless I'm replacing the wheel hubs or other parts like the master cyl.

I too am tempted to pick up a set of these as I think my head gasket is blown now! Woo hoo!

HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Had to look up old receipts, that's how long these brakes have lasted. Saturn uses Wagner brake rotors (or used to) for OEM. I was having warping issues and had to have my rotors resurfaced. A few months, vibrating when stopping issues meant either more resurfacing or new rotors. I bought Brembo solid rotors at Bennett Auto Supply (in FL) along with Akebono pads. Been driving on these for 2 years and the car still stops like the day I put them on. They were cheaper than OEM ($65. ea./rotors, $109. set pads). I'd be leery of cheap rotors and of eBay stuff, but that's just me.

Reply to
marx404

Of ALL the original and replacement rotors that I have used on several different cars, (purchased new) by FAR the WORST were the OEM Saturn ones. They suffered severe corrosion and surface spalling and pitting that I have not experienced with ANY of the cheapo replacements. I have not experienced ANY warping problems with the cheapos. None of the replacement rotors were over $25. ea. and they lasted substantially longer than the OEMs.

Just MHE, YMMV

Reply to
Private