On the subject of motor mounts

I have a 97 SL1 and was wondering how you know if your motor mounts need replacing. The car idles kinda rough and has more vibration in drive now compared to what it used to a few years back. Thanks, MR

Reply to
MR

1) If you haven't changed them before, then they probably need to be replaced. 2) From your description, the upper motor mount (actually called the torque axis mount or TAM) would be the first thing I'd check. 3) If there's more than about 1/4" gap between the metal and rubber parts of your TAM, it's bad.
Reply to
Ratbert

Are the mounts available from a parts dealer or only from Saturn? Thanks.

Reply to
MR

Don't know. I bought mine from Saturn. It's actually just one mount, and I paid $94.75 for it with tax and new, longer studs. They told me it had been redesigned, and the studs had to be changed. Hopefully that means it will last longer.

Reply to
Ratbert

Reply to
Ralphrt

got mine from advance auto it was $56 dollars.. There is also a lower transmission mount on the oppisite side that I would change also.

Reply to
p_vouers

You probably do need an upper motor mount especially if it's never been changed out. In my experience it's an every 3-to-5 years thing.

Vibration is probably the upper motor mount. You can probably see a gap in the top as it has collapsed.

Clunking on acceleration is one or more of the lower motor dogbone mounts or the transaxle mount. Here what I saw was swollen rubber parts from previous oil leaks on my wife's 92 SL1. You can see these mounts by taking off the wheel well cover.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa