only 6 keys?

Recently my '94 Saturn was stolen. It was driven and then dumped about 5 miles from my house. No damage done to it, so the police just had me come and drive it home. The officer on the seen said that '91-98 Saturns have a high theft rate because they only made about 6 keys for each year. Has anyone else heard of this?

Reply to
Don

Not true. What is true is that they had a 7 tumbler cylinder that they only used 6 of them in which limited key combinations possible to maybe 50 thousand or so tops (in therory anyway and this 6 tumbler usage may be where the 6 key thing you heard came from) and it was easier to pick to because of few tumblers. In mid 97 they went to a 9 tumbler design that used all tumblers which increase possible key combos in to the millions. It is possible to use a 9 tumbler design in a 7 tumbler car if you change cylinder housing too if you are concerned about it otherwise you can have all the locked rekeyed differently or even change the ignition cyclder to a a new 7 tumbler one with annew key because they are harder to pick when new and a lot fussier about the keys that will work in them too because when they are worn they can sometime accept keys that are close to fitting even though they are not the correct one.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I have been at car club events where we have played pranks on each other, because odds are that someone's key in the group will work in someone else's car. Seems odd and you'd think that that shouldn't happen, but it does.

But the more important question - who the heck would steal a Saturn??? :)

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Actually according to Sacramento Sheriff Dept. Saturns are the 3rd most common car theft. Especially early '90s. After my first post I did some investigation. Most (5 of the 7 listed in the phone book) of the local locksmith's say they have a "shaved" Saturn blank that will work on most Saturns. According to Sac. County Sheriff and the N. Sac. County CHP office most are stolen driven less than 10 miles and dumped. The officer I spoke with said they had a lady who's Saturn would go missing about once a month. They always recovered it at the community college, with just the gas to drive it there missing. Now I have owned this car for 8 years and it's been a dependable car. But I would have to agree who the heck would steal a Saturn? I mean the only reason I drive it is, its paid off and has no real resale value. So I might as well run the wheels off of it until it dies. Don

Reply to
Don