OT: Mussings on mid life crisis

On the drive to work today, was musing about 'Mid Life Crisis' as a beautiful early 'vette passed me with top down and guy in grey business suit driving. When many men my age go out and buy a fancy car or truck and/or have an affair, here I am at 53, still married to the woman I met in 7th grade (married 31 years)...and I bought a Saturn... station wagon :-))

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

A couple years ago I bought a red '68 Camaro, the first thing my neighbor yelled over to me was "Mid-life crisis, huh?" (I'm 45). Maybe, but in my case I just love old chevys, it's as nostalgic to me as the memory of my girlfriend from high school. Sometimes I get looks in this car from people, they must be thinking, "Who let their dad drive their Camaro??"

Terry

PS We also drive a '00 saturn station wagon.

Reply to
Terry

Heheheh.

Go buy a '70 Chevelle SS, put a blower on it >:)

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Interesting proposition but given my ethnic background, just can't bear to have anything marked 'SS'. Lost a bunch of family in Europe in the 40's. Yeah, I know that the ss stands for super sport but it still creeps me out.

Now if we're talkin' monster trucks...

Reply to
Oppie

So you're suggesting I forget about green and get a berry red Ion for my big

5-0 ? ron
Reply to
Ron Herfurth

I'll have to admit - it creeps me a bit too. GM couldn't have come up with *anything* better? ESP given the obvious. As an aside - wasn't Jag "SS motorcars" prior to WWII?

Ahh, I could stomache a jacked up 4X4, if only I could justify the need for one.

Anyway, I want a *Nova*, like 69-72...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

About the Nova... was that urban legend or what about the Nova being marketed in South America and GM found sales very poor. Then some genius pointed out that 'No Va' in Spanish loosely translated means "does not go".

Reply to
Oppie

It's a UL, pure and simple.

The Nova actually sold quite well down there. I believe there is/was a brand of gas called "Nova" somewhere down there too.

It'd be like a dinning room set called "Notable" not selling in the US because people would read "Notable" as "No Table", and assume the set has no table with it...

I don't know where this one started (No va translates to doesn't go only somewhat, and nova itself is a different word). probbably, someone thought it was cute and GM always screws something up...

Anyway, the Nova started life as the Chevy II, only later in life was it a Nova...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Yes, you could get a custom red paint job on your new Ion with yellow flames on the hood...A friend of mine suggested I always wear red or bright colored shirts, because it doesn't make my grey hairs stand out so much...same theory w/ the red car, I guess!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

In Mexico is where there was a kind of gas named "Nova", the word is latin for "new". Other kinds of mexican gas uses foreign names too, like "Premium" and "Magna" (lat. magnus, magna = maximus).

Reply to
Encapuchado

Did anyone ever stop to think that it might not be a mid life crisis, rather it is economics?

I am just now starting to look for a classic muscle car...and it has a LOT to do with the amount of disposable income that I have now, as compared to when I was 20...

Just my $0.02 worth...

R.

97SW2 - 300k 94 Lumina APV 225k

Reply to