Plastic winddhields

Are Saturn windshields plastic?

Reply to
Elaine again ^,,^

Yes, all components are plastic

Reply to
Tenzo

No, they are laminated safety glass, just like all other US production vehicles. Laminated safety glass has two layers of glass sandwiching a layer of thin plastic. See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

LOL - yeah right.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I think my '95 has a plastic windshield. When you touch glass it's cool, when I touch my windshield it's not. I see the path the wipers make, it can't be removed with Windex. Maybe with a non-abrasive kitchen sink cleaner?

Reply to
Elaine again ^,,^

ROTFLMAO!!!!! You should try a soft brillo pad, lol! Ok, I just had to add to this rediculous post before setting this poor lady straight, you guys are so bad! (or was this a joke post all along?)

NO, Saturn windshields are GLASS! If your windshield is pitted or grooved, it is caused by dirty or worn windshield wipers, or from cleaning the glass with anything not made specifically to clean glass. The dirt will embed into the glass and scratch it, which is what happened to you. I suggest that you take your car to an auto glass repair shop and have the scratches repaired then immediately replace your windshield wipers. You should replace your wiper blades every 6 months or when you feel that they are dry or cracked. If you use them longer than that, or without wiper fluid, you will ultimately scratch the glass.

Lastly, it is only the side body panels and bumpers that are made of polymer, not the whole car, lol. marx404

Reply to
marx404

Thanks for setting me straight Marx.

Reply to
Elaine again ^,,^

It is also very likely you have a nasty film of road grime, that virtually nothing can get off. Two things can work for this - a really strong solvent that they use in body shops to remove waxes & oils from the surface before they paint it, and the other is a mild abrasive designed for glass. Rain-X makes a cleaning product that works fairly well that is designed to clean filmy windshields. I forget the name, but I have used it and it cleans well, but it should be used only occasionally, as it will likely create a haze similar to what you would get from using copper wool (NOT a brillo pad!!).

If your windshield is actually scratched, you likely caused the damage by running your wipers dry - without using washer fluid. Make sure you never run your wipers unless the windshield is wet. Even when it just starts to sprinkle, spray your washers when you first turn on the wipers. This lifts the dust/grit and keeps the wipers from grinding it into the glass like sandpaper.

Dana Rohleder Port Kent, NY

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Elaine, I use an inexpensive wiper brand called Rainy Day wipers. I get mine at Bennet Auto or Rose here in FL. They are only about $3.00 a pair, or you can just get your wipers at Saturn in the parts dept. Either one is good. I also use a wet chamois to clear any road grime off of my windshield before I drive so that I am not grinding it ito my windshield. You are right, they do scratch easily, btu simple preventive maintenence will help.

Cheers! marx404

Reply to
marx404

I haven't tried this, but a friend of mine polished his windshield quite a bit until it was really really smooth. The end result? Rain beads up and rolls off, or even bounces off. It's far better than any rain X type product I've ever seen, and once polished, the effects last a long long time. I saw a first hand demo of this the otherday in HEAVY rain in upstate NY, and it was impressive.

The theory is blindingly simple - water doesn't stick to glass really, but because of the various microcraters on a windshield, it does anyway. By polishing these away, they're gone, and water won't stick to the glass...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Hi, what polish did your friend use?

Reply to
Elaine again ^,,^

What Saturn dealer do you work at in Fl.? I've been to the one in Miami Lakes, they wanted $47 for one Ventshade. PS I sent you an email to snipped-for-privacy@404.com but it came back, can you give me a valid email addy? Thanks

Reply to
Elaine again ^,,^

I have used Bon Ami for this in the past.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Thanks, Bon Ami is a very old non-abrasive cleanser and maybe the first, I'll buy a can.

Reply to
Elaine again ^,,^

Hey hey, I'm going to add a disclaimer. I've not tried this method yet, only seen it's results. So, uh, don't complain to me if your car blows up from this? Please? :(

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

I still wouldn't bear down on it too much, at least at first. Better to go gentle first, applying more force only as you think it might be necessary.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I already did it once lightly, saw no difference so I'll do it everyday until I do. I have a very fine soapless Brillo pad, should I NOT use it? Thanks

Reply to
Elaine again ^,,^

BTW the can of BonAmi says not to use on glass.

Reply to
Elaine again ^,,^

I know that, but I was told by a friend who works at an auto parts store and is an expert on vintage cars that this is what is commonly used. It's likely that the warning from Bon Ami is to protect themselves from people that would use it by really putting pressure on it and/or with a power buffer.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart