question for Ion owners about day time RL/turn signals

Have you had problems with these bulbs burning out? This may only apply to the quadcoupe but I don't know if the sedan uses the same bulb. My new quadcoupe.......week and a half old with 800 miles on it........had the front right dtr/turn signal/running light bulb go out this weekend. I took it over to the dealer today where they replaced it under warranty no problem then the service guy mentions they've replaced quite a few and don't know why they're going. My guess is hopefully the factory just got a bad batch of bulbs and it's not something like an engineering flaw where they used an inferior bulb design. So I'm wondering how many others may have had this happen and what kind of mileage?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Paluda

Our ION-3 Quad Coupe burned out the left front DRL at only a couple of hundred miles. The dealer replaced it under warranty and the replacement is still working at 2800 miles.

Bill K.

Reply to
William E. Krantz, Jr.

I've seen a few reports of this (mainly on the saturnfans.com forums). It seems like they probably had a bad batch of bulbs..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I've heard about this happening with some Ions, and the problem is fixed by replacing the socket that holds the bulb.

There is also some indication that some of the bulbs that shipped originally with Ions weren't crimped properly, and were loose in the socket.

Replacing the bulb with a brand new one (which had been manufactured recently, and thus had no crimp problem) appears to fix some problems, while replacing the housing assembly has also been done to fix it.

Reply to
Mark Walters

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I'm hoping it was just a bad batch of bulbs. The car was manufactured in late July according to the tag on the door so hopefully if the bad socket problem was due to manufacturing issues they had it fixed by that time. Anyway, we'll see what happens I guess.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Paluda