Rattle in dash '01 SL1

I've got this rattle behind my dashboard that is driving me nuts. I looked under the dash (from the floor) and every nut and bolt that I can see or feel is tight.

Any ideas what might be rattling? Any common stuff?

Reply to
LBJGH

In my 98SL2, the right-center vent has a broken hinge, and the left one rattles. However, there is something else which is rattling and it drives me crazy, so if you do figure it out, let me know please before I break something beating on it to stop the rattle :)

-rj

98SL2
Reply to
richard hornsby

hahaha I thought I was the only one beating my dashboard. :)

My lease is up > > I've got this rattle behind my dashboard that is driving me nuts. I looked

Reply to
LBJGH

I used to get dash and door rattles when the TAM (torque axis mount) was worn on my 97SL2 - the mount seemed to last about 50k miles...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

You can touble shoot a bunch of stuff...fan, vent, etc., by running, opening / closing, etc. If you still hear the rattle with the fan off, it might be just as Jonnnie said...an indication that your motor mount is starting to get old. Your car will shake a little...you'll see more vibration. Mine lasted 120,000 miles, but really sounded awful when it finally went. Don't know about the '97, but the mount is easy to replace on the '94...you just have to support the engine when you take the mount off. I did this by putting a board between the engine and the frame...a 1x1 board should do the trick.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Schnoor

I have the same thing in my 98SL2. I thought about bringing to the dealer and paying them to run it down. Any thoughts? Let me know of any helps. Thanks. Roy, 98SL2 ... looking to buy an ION or L series

Reply to
ProfWdesk1