Re: SES

Hey Ken - am I on the same page? ... 96 and newer is OBD-2 and 95 and older is OBD-1 ... I was watching some car show and they showed an OBD-2 tool that would edit the rpm and speed limiter. I wonder if that is dependant on the vehicle or the tool?

> > marx404 wrote: > > > Do yourself a favour and go pick up a OBDI Code Reader from your > local > > > WallyMart of Auto parts store. They generally run about $20. and > come with a > > > book explaining the codes. > > > > Maybe I asked for the wrong thing or asked in the wrong place or > both - > > because one of the local AutoZone-ish places said the code reader > thing > > was 300$ ? > > > > -rj > > 98SL2 > > Your car has OBD-II, which requires a different and much more > expensive code reader, so you asked for the right thing. > > Ken > > >
Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I too was under the impression that GM after 95 was OBDII and prior to 95 was OBDI. Is this wrong?

marx404

Reply to
marx404

95 is the last year of OBDI. 96 is the first year of OBDII. At least that is my understanding of it.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

and also the understanding of both Chilton and Haynes :-)

Warren, you have OBDI if your SC is '93. Yes, you can buy a code reader from your local WallyMart for under $30. I dont know how much they are in the auto store.

On OBDI if you are handy and thrifty, you can use a paperclip to span the connectors also, but I prefer the inexpensive, never fail reader. Perhaps the one you looked at had an LCD, those are more expensive. The cheap one or the paperclip will flach your SES and Temp lights in secuence to give you a code, all you gotta do is count'em and look in the accompanying book.

Mine is the Innova #3123, came with the reader and code book for all early GM models.

Hope that clears this up and you can find that reader. marx404

Reply to
marx404

Don't know - sounds like an interesting unit. It would seem that someone would have developed a computer with adjustable parameters at a reasonable price. There sure seems to be a demand for it.

Ken

dependant on

reader

Reply to
Napalm Heart

You don't need a reader like that on pre-OBD II GM vehicles, just a jumper wire:

Robert Hancock

No bands in the TAAT. That stupid thing is like a Honda - non planetary. probbably the most idiotic design out there, uniqe in all of GM to Saturn. I'm guessing they did it because GM was in a 'copy the Japanese' mode when they designed the car but then, Honda automatics aren't anything to brag about either, IMHO...

Losing reverse is a common problem in these things, IIRC. You really don't want to know what the fix costs...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski