rear speakers

I would like to replace the rear speakers in my 95SL1. You would think that this should be a fairly straight forward job but for the life of me I can not figure out how to remove the retainer clips that hold down the grill cover.

Chiltons isn't any help it just says to remove them but not how to do this. Does anyone know if I need to pry them off with a screw driver or pull them off with pliers?

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod

It's been a while since I replaced the rear speakers on my 94 but as I remember I took out the whole entire rear deck. There's "tabs" on each side that tuck under some plastic trim that have to be pried out. I don't think it was possible to get the individual grilles off. ron

94 SL-1
Reply to
Ron Herfurth

Not sure how easy the rear deck off it is secured in a few different places and even then it looks like the rear seat belts would give me some trouble.

Chiltons has a diagram showing how to take off just the grills and I see the clips that I am supposed to remove but I just can't get them off. I have not tried forcing them too hard because I do not want to tear things up.

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod

Now that you've mentioned the seat belts I think I remember having to move them out of the way somehow. It's a bit of work but is possible. You're not going to damage them in the process. ron 94 SL-1

Reply to
Ron Herfurth

Do not remove the rear package shelf. Simply remove the wing nuts from underneath to remove the speaker grilles. Then the speaker screws can be removed.

Very easy. James

Reply to
James1549

Some years have wing nuts which are easily removeable, but some have one-time press-on things that do not easily come off (which is when you pretty much have to take the package shelf off to avoid wrecking things). My '92 had the nuts, my '94 had the press-on.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

My 1996 SC2 had the press on clips, I had to remove the rear deck, which is fairly easy, it takes less then 5 minutes.

Scott

Reply to
Scott