Saturn Ion Cold Start Problems

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion. Everything appears to run well, and it has less than 30,000 miles. Since we've been having cold weather, it has been difficult to start. If I turn the key, it will crank but not start. If I pump the gas quickly while cranking, it will start and run fine. After the engine warms and if I were to turn it off, it will start just fine again.

Any input would be great,

TIA

Tom

Reply to
SlyckTom

Hi Tom I had the same problem with my 2004 last winter. Like you I could get it started by pumping the gas. I brought it to the dealer and they didn't seem surprised at all, implying that this was a "known" problem. They fixed it under warranty with no problems in less than a half hour. Though they were a bit fague about the problem it seems like it has to do with a temperature sensor that tells it how much more gas it should supply the car with during startups particularly in the cold. Then I got a lecture on NOT EVER pumping the gas during ignition due to the nature of compensation of gas flow during start up in the cold. Since your car is still under warranty they should take care of it for you .

Hope this helps. Lorri

Reply to
Lorri

I will tell you want always works with my daughters older saturn. Switch key to run but not crank and wait 3 or 4 seconds and let fuel system fully pressurize good and then crank it and if does not light in few seconds, pause for a few seconds (do not switch key off only to run) and try again. When you crank a Saturn if it does not lite off in a few seconds, cranking it longer does not seem to help but restarting the start cycle does for some reason. Hers usually starts of first try this way and always by second try even below zero.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan