saturn manual-warning lites

can anyone tell me what the following warning lite means. its right next to the 'security' word. its a box with waves in it and an arrow pointing down. its red all the time. i didnt get a manual with my used car. can even email a jpeg of the page that has the dash warning lites on it to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. id appreciate it..thanks

Reply to
patti sills

Be more helpful if you'd let us know what year & model your Saturn is...

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Sounds like the low coolant light. Check the coolant reservoir. On some cars, it takes a bit more than the Full line to keep the low coolant light off all of the time. If the fluid level is fine, try tapping the reservoir near where the sensor connector is - the float can sometimes stick down.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

im sorry..new here. its a saturn 2000 sl

Reply to
patti sills

Look at this one

Dan has some selected sections of various owner's manuals on his website at
I find that the owner's manual, while it contains some extremely obvious stuff (to keep the lawyers happy?), there is a lot of information that is not intuuitive even to mechanically savy folks. If you don't have a copy of the manual for your car, consider buying one from your Saturn parts dept. Might even find one on ebay...

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

You may want to check for coolant in your oil. I had this problem -- bad head, engine had to be rebuilt.

Good luck!

..Steve

Reply to
Steve

Um, yeah. Don't scare the guy before we even know what light is on!

Reply to
BANDIT2941

thanks that was it! is it really important to use dex-cool? i used prestone to get me by.it was only down about cup

Reply to
patti sills

It isn't disastrous to use regular coolant, but it will result in the coolant losing its long-life properties and needing to be changed sooner.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Dex-Cool is a GM brand name of a weird and enhanced formulation based on ethylene glycol.

You could have just added plain water (demineralized is preferred) for the 8 oz you needed (sorry).

Prestone makes both types of coolant - the regular green Ethylene Glycol and the orange Dex-Cool equivalent which is labeled Extended Life 5/150.

You cannot mix coolant types.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos