Zafira - removal of door trim?

My Zafira's passenger door wont open from the inside - the handle to do so has gone floppy, indicating the cable release to the door lock has come loose. Ive not been too unhappy about this, since in effect it acts as a child lock in the front and only a minor inconvenience.

However, my MOT is now due and the car failed it today because of the non opening from the inside. (I didnt realise it was part of the MOT!)

Anyway, Im having problems removing the trim.

I have released all the clips and screws surrounding the trim. The cap in the door handle reveals a screw and behind the speaker. Both are removed. Similarly the electric window "slot" has been pulled out and electrics disconnected. There now isnt anything obvious left to remove!

I have managed to locate a Haines manual online, but it appears to talk about just lifting the bulky plastic handle out. Mine appears to be rock solid and wont budge.

Looking behind that handle from underneath, I can see there are still more fixings at that point - but whilst I can just about reach them, doing anything (or indeed what to do) is another matter.

I obviously dont want to start forcing things and end up needing a new trim, but reluctant (almost embarrased) to be thinking of taking it to a dealer to take it off!

It seems it just a matter of removing the large handle grip. The Haines manual has a picture of it just being pulled - but there must be more left to do! To be honest, Ive always found the Haines descriptions to be in a foreign language and not particulary helpful!

Has any kind soul have any knowledge of how this Zafira trim should get released or any helpful advice?

The model is a Zafira club 2001 if that makes a difference.

Getting desperate now, since the MOT expired today (yeh I know - Ive left it late!), but this being part of the test has taken me by suprise!

Thanks in advance....

Reply to
guv

The door handles in my experience on my cars is always held on by at least two large screws usually with a torx head. They are usually quite deeply seated and often covered by a blanking stud and are found on the underside of the handle. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Taz

Yes and no!

By looking up from the floor with the trim forced apart as much as possible, I can see what appears to be 2 pretty large metal connectors. Underneath those there also appears to be a plastic clip - which I presume needs to be pulled upwards judging by the channeling.

The Haines manual does not mention anything about those screws or clip. It simply says pull the handle!

I appreciate this handle is the key to removing - but from the inside (under the trim) there is no way I could reach that by hand (its hard enough just to see it!), so I can only think the handle itself does come out by other means. ie it doesnt appear to be a single moulded peice, so maybe that seperates to reveal these screws for removal. Problem is, it doesnt want to seperate (Ive tried) and the manual makes no reference to that either!

Have to admit, I am rapidly going off this car, having just had to spend £85 to have the dashboard light changed (supposedly by removal of the dash itself - but it didnt seem to be the case when I was viewing from a window in the dealership!) Nothing is ever simple anymore! ;-(

Reply to
guv

Just to make it completely clear, when I talk about "handle" I am referring to the armrest which is used to pull the door shut. I know it could be seen as odd saying handle - but thats what it is in effect!

Reply to
guv

If you look at the handle as you describe it, the textured part off it prises out, and there are two screws underneath it. If I remember correctly, you've got to prise the bottom end out first, and it's quite tight.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

OK thanks..... Though I'm still not clear!

Just so I am certain what I should be tugging at.....

The plastic itself is in two parts. The higher part houses the switches. I assume this is not involved.

The lower part has the recess you would grip. Inside this is the plug, which I have removed and undone the screw. The outside *side* is I presume the textured plastic you refer?

I have attempted to prise this away from the material of the panel, but whilst it looks like it may be in two parts because of a slight divet that runs the length, Ive not been convinced by my attempts that its meant to pull apart. Is the lower part in one peice or does it seperate?

Im pretty concerned on getting this fact clear before I apply any more pressure - and make sure the point I apply pressure too - and the direction, is the correct way!

Just hope once I manage to do so, the cable I need to sort out (for the opener to the lock) isnt a problem - and then it all goes back together ok!

BTW - does the trim itself split. ie the top part is molded plastic - should this come away from the material lower part - or does the whole panel come away in one peice?

Cheers

Reply to
guv

Ouch - my Vx dealer is still 35 quid/hr, so that's a lot of labour. Had a lot of little faults on our zafiras.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

What was also annoying was the fact when I first enquired, they quoted £60 for the job - and the clincher was the 12 month warrenty. The warrenty turned out only to be 3 months! Of course I can't prove that was what I was told originally, but I know I could have got it cheaper with a longer warrenty than given. I will make sure I get their name and repeat the details next time!!!!!

Reply to
guv

Got a bit lost there. There should also be at least one screw underneath the switches. It's a while since I've had a door card off a zafira, but there will be a screw at either end off the handle, either recessed in a hole, or under a removable trim insert.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Cant see anything under the electric window switches, but there is one behind the speaker.

At the bottom of the well for the "handle" there is a rubber covered screw, which I have removed. I cant see anything else externally where there is anything to remove or cosmetically covered.

As mentioned, the Haines manual looks to be saying it should just lift up, but even wedging a screwdriver under one end, or at the bottom doenst seem to budge it. ie It looks certain that there is something else retaining it in place - but I am buggered if I can see it on the outside. I have mentioned if you look at it from the otherside, (ie looking behind the trim from the floor) it does look like there are 2 screws - but there is absolutely no way these could be reached - unless the pocket part of the "handle" gets removed. I know this needs to be taken out - hence my original question - but I dont seem any nearer to getting there!

Reply to
guv

Horah!

After ringing a couple of Vauxhall places (who were attempting to be helpfull - but giving different advice!), Ive finally manged to dig the well part of the armrest out to reveal the final 2 screws holding it all in place. (The secret was doing so from the furthest forward part of the join) It was still a strugle to remove the hole panel, but came lose.

It was easy to spot the problem with the release cable. It had popped out - so not an issue - however I am not convinced it wont happen again. I did use a small cable tie to try to hold it in place, which will help, but with constant use, may also come lose eventually.

It all went back together without much trouble.

Many thanks for your help.

Reply to
guv

You are correct about removing the inner 'handle' which is as you say rock solid. What you need is a plastic 'wedge' to push down at the front of this handle to release the 'clip' that holds this part. The one that I use is actually a genuine mercedes service tool and BMW also have a similar tool. It is literally a black plastic wedge made from hard plastic. an other option is a plastic 'putty stick' used by glaziers and windscreen fitters which will also do the job without damaging the handle and surrounding trim. You could use a big flat screwdriver but as Vauxhall use relatively sort plastic for their door trims then you could easily do some damage !! If you live near gloucester then you could bring the car to my works one saturday morning and I would gladly remove the offending trim for you !

Hope this helps

Reply to
radar

Many thanks for the offer - but have now succeeded and the car now in possession of the much needed MOT! ;-)

Reply to
guv