Shudders at stop light: Clean throttle body?

98 Saturn SL 114K miles

When I stop at a light, within about 30 seconds, sometimes sooner, sometimes longer, the car will shudder like it is going to stall and the rpms drop from the normal 800 (idle) to about 700. It bounces right back and doesn't happen again. Sometimes when it bounces back I hear a low pitch, muffled brrrmmm sound, for about a second.

I have searched through news groups and most of the suggestions for a similar problem is either a vacuum leak or the throttle body needs cleaning. But most of what I found talked about it happening more often. Not just at a stop sign. Is there a way to confirm this? There has been no SES/MIL light.

About a year ago I had the fuel pressure regulator replaced, in the past month or so I've gotten a new air filter, EGR valve, and crankshaft position center. I just ran a bottle of Gumout injector cleaner through the tank, the one for high milage engines.

Are there any warnings about cleaning the TB? I've read things that just say spray cleaner in it and scrub it hard. Some warn to only use a soft brush, and others warn not to let the disolved carbon get into the engine. Chilton's says not to get solvent on the IAC or TPS, but Hayne's gives no such warning. Can I clean it in place, or should I remove it and pull the sensors from it, too?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

If you are going to clean it in place, use the brush to break the hold the carbon has on the body and get good shop towels to wipe it out clean. Just working on the valve and where it seats did wonder for it's 'unsticking' for me.

Now the warning, don't fret about goind 'deep' you could drop something and I highly recommend you drive secure the tooth brush via a strong string so if you do drop it, it's retrievable.

hth,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Hi I just bought a 97 SC1 from my sister who had a trouble with the car stalling and or not starting. It sat unused in her driveway for the past year or two. It has 65,000 miles on it. She had it service many times. They replaced the module and several other things. Any advice? Mary snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
mary