squeak/whine noise from the front drivers side wheel

hey i just bought a 95 saturn sc2 about 3 weeks ago. a few days after i got it, i noticed a squeak/whine noise coming from the front drivers side wheel. for awhile i thought it was in the rear. i think it may have something to do with the transmission, because one day i was driving down the highway and my check engine light came on, and the transmission downshifted 2 gears. i was doing 65 in 3rd; running at about 6000rpms. after i shut off the car and start it back up, the noise goes away for a day or so, then comes back until the transmission does its thing again. its only done that twice since i had it, so the noise stays around for awhile. anyone able to help me with this? im at a total confusion. thanks

dave

Reply to
thealmightyandpowerfuldave

Squeak from the front wheel is most likely not related to the transmission shifting down to 2nd gear. Is there a check engine/service engine or trouble indicator illuminated at all? I'm not familiar enough with the transmission controller on the Saturn, but know that on other makes of vehicles with similar electronic controls that the transmission controller will go into second gear when it detects any of a large number of faults. The intent here is to allow the driver to get to a service center and get it fixed ASAP since continuing to drive the vehicle in this condition will destroy the transmission.

I'd get it diagnosed before driving it any more.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

yea. the light comes on shortly before it does that. so maybe i have 2 problems rather than one. i just thought it was odd that the squeak went away after it does that. i'll swing by my local autozone or something and get it checked out sometime soon. thanks!