Whine from front wheel

After about 40 miles and at about 40mph, an intermittent whine can be heard from the front, probably the off-side. Press the brake and the whine stops. Accelerate and brake at the same time (so to keep the speed the same) and the whine also stops. Also appears to depend upon the steering wheel in that it only tends to occur when the wheel is slightly turned right.

Bearings or brakes?

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Whine? Hmm, perhaps you run over the missus and didn't notice

Assuming she's not there, its (probably) the brakes. My last rover 800 did that when the disks were old and had worn a lip around the edge, that in combination with their old large slow acting single piston design caliper makes the pad bind slightly and vibrate with a high pitched scream once you've braked a couple of times and the only way to stop it is driving with foot gently balanced on the brake pedal, or change them of course.

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

probably brakes, take the pads out and chamfer the edges all round, if it is a fiesta then sometimes the oil seal in the bearing on the drive shaft on the back of the engine makes a whine, a spray of grease stops it, the noise is like something held against the side of a bicycle tyre.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I had the same symptoms on my old Mk2 Cavalier. It would always appear at the same point on a certain journey (after approx 70 miles). It was the wheel bearing. As you have noticed, any braking or steering input causes the noise to lessen or go away temporarily.

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt