Sudden Drop in Gas Mileage

Since I purchase my '96 SL2 used with 29K miles, I've gotten a consistant 26 MPG in town (auto). It has suddenly dropped to 21 MPG. As far as I can tell, the performance is the same.

Any ideas?

Doug in Fremont CA

Reply to
Doug Burgess

How many miles does it have now? If over 50K you should check your 02 sensors. If they are sluggish but not quite failing enough to set a code you will lose efficiency.

Reply to
Ed

How do you check O2 Sensors? I have a 98, 94000 mi, and have recently experienced a similar drop.

Reply to
Ratbert

I've got 40K miles on the car.

Reply to
Doug Burgess

Check the coolant temperature sensor.

They fail often on Saturns.

One mode of failure is they think the engine is cold and they run it rich.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

You would also notice a high idle if this is the case. Also, the fan would never come on unless you put the A/C on.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

You need an o-scope to properly check 02 sensors. Best bet is to take the car to a mechanic/dealer and have them hook up their scantool and perform the diagnosis for you, one or both of them may be sluggish.

Alternatively, 02 sensors are relatively cheap, buy them at your favorite parts store and replace them one at a time or all at once. The upstream (first in line) sensor is the one that tells your computer to lean or richen the air fuel mixture, the downstream one monitors catalytic converter operation.

All this is of course assuming that your SES lite is not on and no DTCs are set.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

How does one test this little monster, as I have all the symptoms listed above (or, rather, my '95 SW does).

Reply to
William Hughes

You can test its resistance. I BELIEVE there is a table of accepted values for each temp range in the Haynes manual. But its probably easier to just change it if you exhibit the symptoms - it was only about $11 at NAPA to replace mine. Regardless, its cheap insurance since it is a very common failure on Saturns.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Thanks. If anybody wants me on Sunday, I'll be out in the garage.

Reply to
William Hughes

If you're looking to get away, you may want to find more stuff to do, since replacing the CTS shouldn't take you very long :) :)

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Bah. Had a list of things to do - all those little five and ten-minute jobs that pile up; was going to get 'em all done. Unfortunately, something's come up and I'm going to be busy tomorrow. Guess I'll do it next week.

Reply to
William Hughes

I had the same problem on a 94 SL2.

After many times to the dealer I found out my oil level was not high enough. Topped it off and that was that. Could not believe it was that simple.

Since then I always check the level. Check the obvious.

I did have that sensor replaced as well as it was fail>Since I purchase my '96 SL2 used with 29K miles, I've gotten a consistant 26

Reply to
Scott W. Petersen

same problem on a 93 SL1, it was MAP sensor a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to