Sunroof on a 96 SC2

Hey guys (gals),

This is my first stop in here, I spend allot of time in the Miata newsgroup so excuse me if this subject has been beaten like a dead horse.

My daughters SC2's sunroof has made a couple of nasty sounds in the past but still worked ok. Yesterday, it made a real nasty snap / crackle / pop sound (I didn't hear it myself) and then proceeded to stay open.

When I push the close button, things whir and the mechanism seems to move. I know this because I can manually slide the panel forward a corresponding amount each time I depress the button for a couple seconds. I can get it all the way forward (still tipped up at the back) and then nothing.

I can use a screwdriver to push forward on a little piston looking deal on each side and that releases the back edge which then drops down. Problem is nothing is holding it down. Seems to me something has popped up / out of a track but I haven't been able to determine what popped out of what.

Is there an answer or some guidance you can give me here or a website / owners group that might be helpful?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I've done google searches and found some info on motor replacement and electrical switch replacement but I don't think they apply here, what do you think?

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Mine does the same thing, but only on the left side. It opens fine, but only the right hand side pulls when it closes. I have to "help" the left side closed, then push on the arm with my finger to get it to drop. The right side then locks down but the left side doesn't. Not a big deal but a little air can be heard going by if I have the sliding shade open. Same thing happened when mine went, made some bad noises.

If you find a fix other then replacing the whole assembly, let me know.

Reply to
BANDIT2941