wipers only work on high - '94 SW2

The front windshield wipers on my low mileage (believe 32K?) '94 SW2 only work on high. The dealer says that I need to replace the wiper motor assembly as all the electronics are in there - to the tune of $234 for the part. Is this really the case? Where does the wiper motor live on this model so I can at least look for loose connectors?

I checked earlier posts and FAQs but didn't find any answers.

Thanks, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Your problem is probably in the multifunction switch under the steering wheel. The various positions of the wiper/washer controls send signals to the module through several resistors. Each function has a different resistance and the resistors are in that switch. I'd advise getting either Saturn shop manuals (expensive) or a Haynes or Chilton's for your car. Good luck. BTW, the wiper motor and module are under the plastic grille where the wiper arms are. Some disassembly is required.

Reply to
jogle

Much obliged. The Haynes manual is on order and I'll be out to take a look at it over the weekend.

Thanks again, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen