Sunroof out of timing?

I have a 1998 SL2 Saturn and the sunroof appears to be out of timing. By that, I mean the sunroof motor does not stop when the window comes to a complete close. It continues to motor and makes a loud clicking noise. The window will open fully, but when I use the "vent" button, it opens half way then stops.

I have the motor removed right now, but adjusting the timing (if possible), is not apparent to me.

Is there a way that I can get the motor back into correct timing? Should I replace the motor? Or is it another part of the sunroof mechanism?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any advice.

- Mike

Reply to
mgrabows

I've been thinking more about my problem. I'm wondering if it's possible that the motor and/or its controlling mechanism do not have a built in stop timing, but rather rely on good threads on the cables and the motor to stop the mechanism.

The threads on the motor are good. The threads in the cables that meet the motor appear to be a little worn. My assumption is that the motor is chewing over the threads, but it's not bad enough to stop the window from opening and closing itself.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply to
mgrabows

Yeah - the gears skipping over one another will definately cause a "clicking" sound. Look at the motor and gear assembly closely, and make sure there is no slop or play in the mounting hardware ...

Reply to
Mike Surwill

I removed the sunroof glass to watch the mechanism more closely. As I did that, the driver side cable buldged and unraveled itself inside the vehicle. When I look into the hole where the motor gear rotates, only one cable's threads remain.

I'm now looking for a new set of cables. It's been recommended to me to replace the guides as well. But, those run $170+ and I'm just trying to fix the car up for sale. I'm not an expert on guide wear, but from my impressions the plastic ones seem fine and just the cables are broken.

Below are some links to photos of my guides and the cable inside my car:

Driver-side cable/guide -

Passenger-side cable/guide -
Driver-side interior (bulging cable) -
Threads -