SW2 - No Start Mystery

Sunday my 97 SW2 wouldn't start. On the first try it seemed to catch but stalled. The second try wouldn't catch and after that the solenoid didn't seem to be engaging. Since I didn't have time to check it out I jumped in my 35 year old Alfa and ran my errands. Seven hours later I got home and the solenoid wouldn't engage so I stuck the battery on the charger just in case it was a low voltage problem. Three hours later the battery appeared to be fully charged but the starter still wouldn't engage even after I rocked the car in gear (manual) to move the engine.

This morning I decided to try it one more time before calling the tow truck and the solenoid engaged and by going full throttle I was able to get the car started, though it ran roughly at first. After the idle smoothed out I turned it off and was able to restart without a problem, no SES codes flashing. A half hour later I was ready to go to work and it again started without a problem and here I am at work.

It was 50 degress yesterday and about 30 this morning. The cars got 120k on it and burns no oil. So what the heck happened here and is there anything I should look at (plugs, starter, battery)?

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

If it's not the battery, I would say charred contacts on the solenoid.

Reply to
Skid

If you disconnected the battery while charging it (always a good idea), that would explain the rough idle.

The original starting problem sounds like a sticky/bad solenoid or a bad Bendix (or whatever they call the moving gear on the end of the starter).

Reply to
Dan Hicks

I'm inclined to think its a bad starter solenoid (or connections) though I've never had one fail like this. When it didn't start it probably created a flooding problem, made worse by the fact I couldn't turn the engine over. Strangely enough the starter has performed flawlessly over the last 2 days with multiple starts and stops. I'll probably change it out just to be on the safe side. Is that a tough job and is it better to buy a new one from Saturn or a rebuild from the parts store?

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

had the same problem with my '92 sl... the starter bolts had worked/vibrated loose enough for it to disengage from the flywheel and/or lose its ground connection! i tightened up the bolts, ran a new ground strap, and the original starter still works after 210 000 miles. jeff

Reply to
jeff may

Thanks Jeff,

It's been going strong since the sunday it took the day off and we've had cold and snow as well. I'll check the bolts on the starter this weekend if the ground is dry.

I started pricing starters but have decided I'll wait it out. The car is light enough to push start if I have to and maybe a blow to the solenoid/bendix would unstick it.

Here's the prices, don't understand the weight difference on remanufactured, maybe its the packaging.

used: $40 remanufactured: $110-$200, weight 7-14lbs, Bosch, Autolite, etc. new: ~$220 Autolite ~$280 Saturn

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Hey Mitch. You can also buy a used one for approx. 20$-25$. You only need to make sure the teeth are not worned...usualt means the stater's in good confdition...plus, they allways offer a warranty. If you can have an easy access to the starter(remember NEVER rely on jacks alone) it should not take more then

20-25 min. with the proper tools. Good luck. Stef
Reply to
Stef

alone) it should not take more then

Hi Stef,

I'd change it but at this point its moot, the car has started without a glitch since the incident. It must have been related to the initial failed start situation. Perhaps the Bendix kicked back in a way that jammed it. I'm old enough (and maybe wise enough?) that if I do change it I only want to do it once and would rather spend some extra money to insure that then buy the cheapest. I once changed out the clutch on a Saab 900 3 times in a weekend (bad flywheel resurfacing followed by a failed slave cylinder). Not a bad job, its on the top front of the engine, but a nuisance.

MItch

Reply to
Mitch