Wheel covers on a 2002 Saturn SL1 Sedan

Hi. I recently purchased a 2002 SL1, 4 door, manual transmission, sedan. I love it.
However, I lost a wheel cover a few months ago, and I have been having a devil of a time finding a replacement that fits.
I purchased two OEM wheel covers on eBay from reputable sellers. Both were listed as fitting the 2002 SL1, and both look absolutely identical to the wheel covers I have. They are the same size, same pattern; everything, to appearances, is exactly the same. The only difference I can note is the four cap nuts that fit over the wheel bolts, and which secure the covers, are a dark grey, whereas the ones on my current wheel covers are a lighter grey.
When I attempt to attach the replacement wheel covers, both lineup perfectly, but the cap nuts don't quite reach the bolt threads on the wheels. If I push really hard on the wheel covers, I can make them barely reach the threads, but that's not right. They're clearly not fitting for some reason.
I even had my mechanic look at it and he was baffled.
Has anyone had any experience with this, or any advice?
Roy
Check with AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts. Lug nuts may be different. If it's like mine, the lug nut has a threaded body below the hex head that the wheel cover nut engages. You may be able to get replacement wheel cover nuts also. I believe that they snap into the cover.