1995 Chevy 2.2 Engine - Whining noise

Hi everyone, I am new to your forum and was hoping to gain some knowledge on my chevy motor. I have a 95 2.2 engine that over night developed a whining noise in the front end. It is internal since we took the belt off and it still made the noise so it's not a pump.

Is this the timing chain and gears? Has anyone else has this? I have heard the 96 with the gear only will do this.

Thanks

Reply to
Chargerfan

Take a long screwdriver and put it against the motor and put your ear up to the handle and see if you can pinpoint the area where the whining is coming from.

It wouldn't be coming from the transmission would it?

Reply to
m6onz5a

I don't think so. I have a friend who has a car hoist and we put it up on the hoist while it was running and we both thought it was coming from the lower front of the engine.

Also it is a 5 speed manuel transmission so I tried pushing in the clutch which would disengage the transmission and the whining did not quit. As you reeve the motor it gets louder also. Any help would be appreciated if you have had this same problem. I am debating looking for a good used engine or replacing the timing gear and chain but hate to put more money into a bad engine if this is not the problem. My buddy with the lift is about 50% sure it is the timing gear since the engine has good oil pressure which would mean the main bearing are good.

Any other idea's???

Reply to
Chargerfan

Did you by chance just change your oil when the noise started? GM has some kind of bulletin about using the wrong oil filter can cause some engine noise.

Reply to
m6onz5a

The only other place I that it might be is check the timing cover area. Could be coming from the timing tensioner.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Could be all kinds of things, but you use a stethoscope or a fuel line and listen around, and it seems to be coming from the timing chain cover, I would do one of two things.

The first thing I would do would be to pull the cover and check the tensioner, because it's entirely possible that it's just a bad tensioner. It does happen.

The alternative, if you have plenty of valve clearance in that engine (and I don't know the engine so I don't know if you do) is to keep driving it and wait for the chain to fail. It could be years, or it could be tomorrow and depending on where you're driving you might be willing to take that risk.

Note that if you have a distributor there, it's possible for the bearing in the distributor to become noisy too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

anyone ever heard this kind of whining noise coming from the front end of the motor on a 2.2 chevy engine or any other make??

Reply to
Chargerfan

Well to just update this, it was the timing chain or I should say it was the tensionor. The plastic had came off and was being chewed up but the noise was due to the plastic being gone and the chain going metal to metal against the guide.

Reply to
Chargerfan