anyone ever lost shift linkage clip?

I had "fun" today. My manual transmission 94 SL1 saturn lost a U clip that holds the shift linkage cable to the transmission. After coming off the highway, I could not take it out of 5th. I rolled for a bit and got it into 3rd and drove to a safe place to pull over. I was alone; so I could not see the problem and had to call AAA. After I got it home, I had a friend jiggle the shifter and I saw the dangling cable housing that should be attached to the transmission, but it was missing the clip which holds it securely to the transmission. The cable and housing still look good; I wonder if saturn sells just the clip or I have to buy the whole cable??

Thanks, chuck

Reply to
chuck smoko

It cost me $20 for the repair at the Saturn dealer + overnight lodging + two tows (One to nearest exit off turnpike + another to Saturn dealer) arrrgh..............

Reply to
Mr. Goodwrench

Yes, they sell just the clips, and they're pretty inexpensive too.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Same thing happened to me.....ended up having only 3rd 4th and 5th gears. Was able to limp it home(luckily nobody stopped on a hill in front of me) and fabricate my own clip until I was able to get to the dealer to get one. The dealer sells the clips seperate, and as Lane said, they are very inexpensive.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Got one today at the dealer. $6.00 for it; I'm "back in gear" and rolling along.

chuck

"Mr. Goodwrench" wrote:

Reply to
chuck smoko

Wow you got hosed! I want to say it was like $2.00 or less when I bought it! Not like it really matters anyway :)

Reply to
BANDIT2941